Houle Chevrier Engineering Ltd. (HCEL) provided emergency geotechnical engineering support following a train derailment in Northern Ontario.
Our geotechnical support included the following:
- Borehole and test pit investigations for caisson, crane pad and temporary causeway design purposes;
- Design recommendations for a temporary railway embankment in excess of 8 metres high crossing a 30 metre wide river;
- Design recommendations for outrigger support of a 550 Tonne crane over soft subgrade soils;
- Design support for the rock socketed caissons required for the centre pier of the bridge reconstruction;
- Monitor stability of temporary causeway during service life;
- Full time construction support and inspection for the various assets of the emergency bridge and rail line replacement.